Monday, January 12, 2009

A Lunar Festival in Footscray

This past Sunday I spent the day with my old friend and fellow photographer, Bill Fagan, seen here at right. He looks pretty serious but he's one of the funniest guys you'll meet.Bill and I have been friends since I was about 15. He taught me the ropes - shutter speeds, apertures - and an undying love for all things Nikon. At the time he owned a Ricoh TLS Singlex and I owned a Minolta SRT 101. Nonetheless we both longed for the day we'd be shooting using the latest Nikons. Well, its been thirty years, but there we were on Sunday, using the latest Nikons! Ah, life is complete...Together we spent a fair part of the day photographing a Vietnamese Lunar Festival in Footscray. He was giving his new D700 its first real workout and I was just along for the ride and a few photographic opportunities.I believe its important for photographers to just get out there and shoot something every now and again. In fact, more than every now and again! The passion of photography needs to be kept alive by the actual DOING of it, and the diversification of your own vision. Anyone can become a master of one thing...and then probably become sick and tired of it if their mind is a constantly creative one. I believe that even if you desire to pursue only one arena of photography, it is wise to expand your vision in that arena by stepping outside your circle every now and again.However, the chance to photograph culture, people, colour and events is one of the reasons I enjoy travel photography so much. I have been to marketplaces and cultural events in many places all over the world.For this festival I only needed to sit as the passenger in Bill's car and listen to Led Zeppelin for a little while before we arrived in Footscray. It was an enjoyable day, and it was good to get out and shoot with Bill again. We haven't actually done that together in years! In fact, I can't remember when the last time was. Bill, we're gonna have to fix that mate! Here I am, getting underneath it all again.Thanks for the photograph Bill! Photo:Bill Fagan

No comments:

The Life, Times and Images of photographer, Shelton Muller

Images on this blog are copyright Shelton Muller